Celebrating Earth Day in the Kitchen!
No matter what your personal views are on diet, lifestyle, religion, or politics, Earth Day is that one day a year that everyone on this beautiful planet celebrates together. The honor we have to experience the abundance and endless beauty of this planet is amazing.
One of the best ways to celebrate and thank the earth is by embracing a plant based diet. Even if going fully plant based is not in your interest, do it for a full day at least, it will be so much easier than you think.
Here are 10 ways to walk lightly this Earth Day while making your Meatless Monday celebration meal:
1. When planning your meal, have it highlight what is in season in your local area.
2. Center your meal around only whole food to do your part in reducing packaging waste.
3. Go to a farmers market, local farm, or produce dept after you plan your menu to shop for the bulk of your ingredients. Don’t forget to bring your bags.
4. When washing veggies, fill a bowl with water to rinse rather than under a constant running faucet
5. Compost and recycle all aspects of waste from your meal.
6. Pull out those cloth napkins for the meal, avoid the paper
7. Create a table centerpiece out of extra veggies, flowers, and local foliage from around your home. (The kids love this part)
8. Kick up the romance of the meal, light some candles and shut the lights down for the meal.
9. If you run the dish washer, skip the dry cycle
10. Pass these tips onto a friend